Everyone knows that law school will push your mental ability to the limit. But what most students fail to consider is that law school will also take a toll on you physically. Between sitting at your desk for hours on end reading cases, struggling to find the time to hit the gym and eat right, and hauling 1,000-page casebooks to and from class, your body is going to feel it. So face it. The backpack you used in high school and college just isn’t going to cut it anymore. That’s why I put together the ultimate guide to the 7 best backpacks for law school. Each and every backpack on this list has been vetted to help ease the burden of law school, all while doing it in style.
1. Fjallraven Kanken Backpack
In 1950, 14-year-old Ake Nordin was trekking through the Vasterbotten mountains in Sweden when he realized that all of the backpacks of the day were incredibly uncomfortable. When he returned home he set out to do something about it. Ever since then Fjallraven has been making some of the most functional, sustainable, and dependable equipment on Earth. The iconic design of the Fjallraven Kanken Backpack stands the test of time. Perhaps that’s why it’s been one of the best-selling backpacks since it was first introduced in 1978. Use it once and you’ll know why it’s one of the best backpacks for law school.
- Super padded laptop sleeve
- Ergonomic shoulder “X” straps
- Two easily accessible side pockets
- Foam resting pad keeps your bag upright
- Spacious main compartment holds all your casebooks
- Dual top snap handles make transport quick and easy
2. The North Face Recon Backpack
Everyone knows that The North Face makes top-of-the-line gear. So it’s no surprise to hear that The North Face Recon Backpack lives up to its hype by providing the storage, organization, and comfort you need to make your law school commute a breeze. This pack is so well thought out that it could practically store an entire apartment. So whether you’re trekking through the mountains or on your way to the law library to study for finals, The North Face Recon Backpack will take you there in style.
- Sunglasses pocket
- Soft, padded laptop sleeve
- Integrated water bottle holders
- Custom injection-molded shoulder straps
- Stretchable front stash pocket and side panels
- Expansive internal compartments with organizers
- Protective phone/tablet pocket with fleece-lined interior
3. JanSport Right Pack Backpack
It’s no secret that the JanSport Right Pack Backpack is a classic, stylish, and durable backpack that simply gets the job done. It has the iconic look and feel of a backpack that won’t ever go out of style. In other words, the JanSport Right Pack Backpack’s signature suede leather bottom, roomy interior, and timeless styling make it the perfect back-to-school backpack for law students.
- Super comfy shoulder straps
- Front stash pocket for valuables
- Soft, padded internal laptop sleeve
- Large main compartment for your casebooks
- Engineered front utility pocket with organizers
4. Thule Paramount 29L Backpack
Thule is another top-notch company that’s been making incredibly stylish and functional packs and gear since 1942. And the Thule Paramount 29L Backpack is no exception. Its urban-inspired rucksack design features incredible storage and protection for all of your law school essentials. The Thule Paramount 29L Backpack is probably the most spacious and functional backpack on this list.
- Soft valuables pocket
- Perforated, padded shoulder straps
- Innovative dual-density laptop sleeve
- Multiple, oversized storage compartments
- Back panel airflow channels to keep you cool
- Protective phone/tablet pocket with soft-lined interior
- Daisy chain attachment system for carabiner, key fob, or bike light
5. Herschel Supply Co. Pop Quiz Backpack
Since its founding in 2009, upstart Herschel Supply Co. has been making some of the most stylish and popular backpacks for students of all ages. Although some haters may say Herschel bags are too “trendy,” don’t let that dissuade you. They’re trendy for good reason. Herschel’s “goal is to create a timeless product with fine regard for detail.” And that’s exactly what you get with the Herschel Supply Co. Pop Quiz Backpack.
- Soft shoulder straps
- Padded sunglasses pocket
- Signature Herschel fabric liner
- Padded, fleece-lined laptop sleeve
- Internal media storage with headphone port
- Front pocket internal mesh organizer and key holder
- Sizable main compartment for easy casebook storage
6. Timbuk2 Command Messenger Bag
The Timbuk2 Command Messenger Bag is a sophisticated urban messenger bag designed for hardcore commuters and business professionals. Its sleek, dependable, and utilitarian design will effortlessly transport your law school books supplies to and from campus. Plus, it will serve you well after graduation, on business trips, and your daily commute to the office.
- Spacious laptop sleeve
- Tricot-lined valuables container
- Side-entry pocket for easy access
- Precise internal organization compartments
- Fully adjustable and removable crossbody strap
- Luggage pass through for attaching to roller suitcases
- Tensioned aluminum hooks for quick and secure closure
7. Osprey Tropos Backpack
Ever since its founding in 1974, Osprey has been designing innovative, rugged, and handsome bags for hikers, climbers, and students alike. The Osprey Tropos Backpack is a favorite among law students because it strikes the perfect balance of size, weight, functionality, and style. If I could give this backpack 10 stars, I would.
- Padded laptop sleeve
- Functional water bottle holders
- Integrated kickstand to keep your bag upright
- Huge front organization pocket for your supplies
- Suspended mesh ventilated back panel to keep you cool
- Scratch-free pocket to protect your sunglasses and cellphone
Final Thoughts On The Best Backpacks For Law School
To sum up, there’s no reason to let the burden of law school weigh you down. Take a load off your back by using one of these best backpacks for law school. Not only are these backpacks perfect for law school, but because they are well-made, functional, and stylish, you’ll be able to use them for years to come on your daily commute, in the great outdoors, or on your next vacation.
All the best,
P.S. Quick question. You drink coffee, right? Me too. I basically lived on coffee and instant noodles in law school. One of the best investments I made during law school was buying a Zojirushi travel mug. I carried it everywhere with me, so I always had piping hot coffee on tap when I needed it. If you’re looking for the best way to enjoy your coffee on the run, then be sure to check out my Zojirushi Travel Mug Review. Best of all, it will fit perfectly in any of these great backpacks.